So what – or rather who – is The Verbalist?
He’s a whole variety of things:
- a creative writer building his own online presence
- a professional copywriter/editor experimenting with a new form/medium/channel for personal activity
- a man thinking aloud about things that interest him and he thinks may in some way interest, amuse or entertain others.
In the wider world, I string words together for a living, and notes together (as a guitar player) for entertainment. I am also an avid cook: I’m not a chef (they’re trained and they know techniques), but I love to cook for my partner and for friends.
I’m fascinated by all manner of things: human behaviour, quirky parallels between things, and the inter-connected nature of the planet.
If you want a preliminary list of inspiring people, here’s a first stab:
- Brian Eno (for the thinking more than the music)
- Steven Johnson
- William Golding, Michael Ondaatje, BS Johnson (and many more I’ll remember later) for novels; Thom Gunn, Rosemary Tonks, Mebdh McGuckian, WS Graham for their poetry
- Gerry McGovern (whose Nua Thinking has/had an erratic brilliance)
I hope you’ll enjoy reading, and that some of you may occasionally comment.